Monday, June 1, 2009

Full House

This past weekend I went from my normally empty house to a house filled past capacity. It all started because my sister came home for a visit and then my Mom and Grandmother showed up, and it was my weekend with my son. It was a full house and I enjoyed ever minute of it.

My sister was one of the first people I admitted being gay to. I don't think she even paused to give a second to how she responded. It was a non-issue and, for her, she could finally voice her opinion of my wife. Let's just say that she wasn't overly mean or anything, but just shared concerns that she had had.

So my sister and I took complete advantage of her being home. We spent as much time as we could together, had drinks and hung out with friends. Saturday night, we also took things to a new place for my sister. We had gone out for drinks and were having a good time. Part of my mind wondered whether she'd be down for going to a gay bar, after having cocktails at another bar in the city, that plays the best music mix ever. So when closing time was arriving at the first bar, I asked if she'd be into dancing at one of the gay bars in the city. Again, she didn't hesitate.

Part of me has wondered, for longer than I could admit to myself that I was gay, whether she was a lesbian. And part of me hoped that a lesbian would hit on my sister and I'd find out. But that didn't happen. We did dance for hours, and she met my new friend, J (not sure that I've assigned him a name or initial yet).

Then we went to an old haunt for some eats before getting home while the birds were singing and the sun was well on it's way to being up.

It was great. We were both over-tired yesterday, but having my sister home and having a weekend we would have had years ago when we were both living in the same city was great.
PS. Oh and going to the gay bar is great for the self-esteem. I don't get hit on, but generally speaking, I'm fortunate enough to get eye contact or stares from the more attractive guys in the crowd. Part of it could be me being considered "new meat"... but I'll take it.

No comments: