Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Ok, I'm gay, guess I have to mention Prop 8

Okay, so I'm no expert in Prop 8, I just know that it's holding back the right of gay men and women from being able to legally marry in California. I have a couple of points to make about this, and then I'm pretty much done, unless someone had a question about my opinion, then by all means leave a comment and I'll respond.

My thought about this whole issue, is that I find this as hard to understand as nuclear physics. I don't understand how any human can look at another and say, nope sorry, you can't make a legal commitment to another person of your gender because it's wrong. It's wrong that you love another man.

So many "straight" people say that homosexuals are promiscuous. If that is the general consensus, then shouldn't the "straight" population be ecstatic that two gay people actually want to make a real commitment to each other and say nope... no more hookups for me?

And having been giving a religious foundation as a child, I understand one's commitment to their church and religion. I understand many religious people believe marriage should only be between a man and a woman. And I'm not asking those people to allow gay men and women to marry in their churches, or change their religion to allow the marriage to be recognized. I'm asking those people to look at how that marriage would affect their life. Would there be a change? Would the earth start to turn in the opposite direction or turn into a giant disco ball? NOPE.

I know that here in Canada a legal gay marriage can happen. I even know in some provinces, if not all, a gay family or even just a gay individual can adopt a child. And chaos has not broken out in this country. There are no wars of "straights" versus "gays". There are families being formed.

I think 50 years from now people will look back at Prop 8 and ask why Californian hated so much. It's not like gay men and women are in hiding in California, like the would in a less liberal country. It's not like it's a disease. I look at this issue like I look at the past when women were not considered human enough to vote or work outside the home. I look at this issue like African descendants here in North America not having any rights. It was wrong then and it's wrong now. We're all human and it's about nothing but love and commitment.

PS. Straight people aren't successful at marriage most of the time either.

No comments: