Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Divorce thoughts.

I grew up in a home with married parents. There were no step parents, not step-siblings, just the regular nuclear family. When I proposed to my wife I expected the same life. One where the husband and wife were committed to each other for the rest of their lives, and had children and raised them together and have some picture perfect moments.

A lot of that outlook on adulthood, was no doubt the result of my environment and media. It wasn't just my upbringing because my parents did not have the ideal marriage. My Dad was the ruler of the home and we all had to follow or hell would break loose. There were nights where my sister and I were woken up to the sound of a yelling match between my parents. There were years of my life where I wish my parents would get divorced. But it never happened.

I NEVER thought I would ever get divorced. I never thought I'd have an end to that relationship. And here I am a year later, still spinning from the thought that I would be divorced. I would be a statistic. That my son would not be raised with two parents in one home.

I have to wonder how different divorce would be for someone with no children. Without much doubt, I can say it has got to be a lot easier. Sure the pain of losing your best friend and everything that is familiar is hard and seems unbearable. But you can also leave that relationship knowing you never have to deal with that person again. You don't have to talk to them on a regular basis. You don't have to always wonder what they might be up to.

If I had no son in the mix, I would have left this city and started up a new life. Surrounded myself with all things unfamiliar. A new city, a new job and new friends. It would surely be an adventure instead of feeling completely lost in the world you once knew every corner of.

I had an email disagreement with the ex today. I so badly wanted to say that I had made the biggest mistake of my life and wanted a do-over. But I can't. I'm gay. And too much damage has been done. Life is more familiar and I have a good circle of friends... but it's not what I grew up expecting my life to be like... and that's a hard pill to swallow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your site and I want to thank you for posting your experience. I am a gay man currently married with two wonderful kids. My wife recently found out about my orientation and we are currently trying to decide what our next steps should be. I feel so scared and alone and it's nice to hear about someone who has experienced a similar situation.

Thank you!

newman said...

Thanks for your comment. If you wanted to contact me directly to talk at any point feel free. I had a great therapist, but one who did not live through the experience first hand. I don't fault him for that, but I can give some real insight if you want it.