Friday, March 27, 2009

Why is it so rare?

So I have had quite a broad spectrum of reactions to my coming out as a gay man, after being married. I suspect it's not really that different for any gay man, but definitely something to really think about.

Why is it so rare to receive a response of sympathy? Now, before I piss anyone off... I don't mean... oh I feel sorry for you because you're gay... or sucks to be you, you freak. I don't agree with either of those statements... this is who I am and I'm okay with it... I don't feel abnormal in the least. In fact, now that I'm coming out, I feel more normal than I ever have.

I am talking about a reaction where the friend, family member, or co-worker... who ever they are says, wow I feel really bad that you had to grow up, or live life as an adult and feel like you had to hide part of who you are. That you've felt that your family or friends would judge you in a way that you might have felt bad about your sexual orientation.

Why is it so rare?

I am not looking for anyone in my life to feel like I deserve more sympathy than my ex-wife or son, for all that they have gone through or are going through... but I am looking for more understanding at the challenge that I faced in my decision to admit to the world that I'm a gay man. And that my not fully recognizing that until I was married, owning a house and raising a child only made it that much more difficult to admit.

No comments: