Monday, September 14, 2009

Did I make the biggest mistake of my life?

I’m sitting at work and had an overwhelming feeling that I have done just that. It feels like nausea, panic and sadness all in one wave of emotion. I seem to get this wave more often lately.

It started with realizations that my life is forever changed, at random times. Sometimes it would be in the shower, or in bed just as I was fading into sleep. Those thoughts where I would tell myself that this wasn’t a phase in my relationship with my wife. That in fact we would never have a home together again. We wouldn’t grow old together. We won’t have any more children. We wouldn’t travel to those dream destinations as a family.

I have had those thoughts since the day I noticed my wife dropped papers by the front door of our home, from her lawyer, stating I had better seek counsel. I didn’t know that she had even placed it there, but I saw this envelope addressed to me as I closed the door and my heart sunk. This was happening.

I think my coping mechanisms kicked in about that time and numbed me a bit. I went into a zone where certain periods of time I could control my emotion and turn stone-faced. These periods would often be when I had to deal face-to-face with my wife. I would somehow control the muscles in my face to not show any sadness or hurt. It was something she would point out to me, but she reacted to it by assuming that I didn’t care.

I think that mechanism is relaxing and allowing the rest of reality set in. The part where I am slowly realizing that this is my new reality and how discontent I am with it.

Perhaps this is why I haven’t cared so much for Him lately. That I could easily shut that relationship off because I’m not as fulfilled as I was with my wife. That even though a part of me was missing a lot of my life was full. I had a routine and a partner to share every thought with. Someone I could trust. Someone who knew my family and allowed me to be part of theirs, one I wanted to be a part of. Someone who shared the same dreams as I did for a family and home. And what he wants is so different. From where he wants to live, to his thoughts on children and the constant turmoil his family seems to be in.

I spent the morning with my ex and my son yesterday. It was an abnormal occurrence and one that had me fighting tears at most points, and constantly having my emotions barely held back. It was very normal, in the sense that we both were conscious of what we talked about, none of which was related to the split-up. We were together for one of my son’s sporting practices, and it almost felt right.

I wanted to email her today and tell her how nice it was to spend the time with both of them, but I’m afraid of the emotion it may unleash on her at work. I have a heavy heart right now.

I wonder why our marriage couldn’t work with me being gay. I mean, I know the obvious parts, but I’m brought back to the pride parade in the city this year, where there was a young couple walking through the streets and the female held a placard that read “I love my transgender husband.” What is it in our culture that requires that a hetro woman and hetro man be married for it to be considered acceptable? Sure there are groups of individuals in our society who feel that two homos can marry, but I think the majority still view it as unacceptable. I wonder how long it will be that marriage can be a commitment between two people to love and care for each other, with no other stipulations.

I think if I lived further in the future I would have been able to stay married. That I would have been able to explain to my wife the part of me that was missing and find a way to incorporate it into our lives in a natural way.

She was my best friend. Someone I loved to live life with and because I exposed a part of myself I had to give all of those years of my past, and all the years I had planned for the future up.
And I know the journey for her is even harder mentally. I am not trying to discount that. I just really want it all back. That picture perfect life is hard to give up

No comments: